Reckless Driving Accident: Causes and Prevention Tips
Reckless driving causes thousands of accidents, injuries, and fatalities every year. The physical consequences severe, but there are also legal consequences that are just as serious. With reckless driving, you can also expect to see much higher penalties associated with a reckless driving ticket.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data, while the number of traffic accident fatalities has decreased significantly since the early ’70s, the number of deaths has been roughly 35,000 per year. In fact, traffic accidents are usually listed as one of the top ten causes of death annually.
Common Reckless Driving Accident Causes
An accident caused by reckless driving happens when a driver makes one or more poor decisions. By following rules of the road and traffic laws, we are all about to avoid this type of accident. Common reasons reckless driving accidents occur include:
- Braking suddenly
- Ignoring red lights or stop signs
- Exceeding the speed limit
- Failing to use turn signals
- Driving under the influence
- Distracted driving
- Not using headlights at night or in the rain
- Making illegal turns or lane changes
While these mistakes may not always result when reckless driving occurs, they can lead to a driver being ticketed or cited for a traffic violation. They are all illegal and these drivers may be subject to fines, jail time, and even community service.
Preventing a Reckless Driving Accident
Reckless driving accidents can always be prevented simply by driving safely and following the rules of the road. There are a few safety tips that drivers can follow to make sure that they and their passengers are not victims of a dangerous reckless driving accident.
Safety tips to prevent and avoid an accident
- Steer clear of any cars or drivers that appear dangerous. For example, keep an eye out for cars weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, or speeding excessively. Try to move over a few lanes and get out of their way.
- Report dangerous drivers by calling the local police. If you notice a truck driver driving recklessly, call the number of the back of their trailer to report it to their employer.
- You and our passengers should always wear your seat belt. Seat belts have been shown to help prevent injuries in an accident.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get to where you need to go so that you don’t feel rushed. When you have plenty of time, you don’t feel pressured to speed, take shortcuts, or breaking traffic laws.
- Avoid talking, texting or eating while driving. Try putting one of your passengers be in charge of the radio, if you trust their taste. If not, make a pre-selected playlist.
- Be aware of your surroundings when you’re behind the wheel and never drive when you’re tired or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It’s important that you can respond to the conditions of the road and the drivers around you.
Even when you do take all the safety precautions, you could still fall victim to a reckless driving accident. When this happens, there is a possibility that you could be compensated for your injuries. Contact a Beverly Hills personal injury lawyer at the One Law Group today to begin discussing your legal options. You can reach us at (844)626-1529.